Mirror Lake offers the opportunity to learn swimming techniques during the summer months from qualified, American Red Cross swim instructors. If you would like to sign up, you should first contact our Waterfront Director, Annie, and confirm that there is space by either calling her at 978-391-9359 or emailing her at email@example.com. You may then download the enrollment form in PDF format and mail it to us with your check.
Although we have a general schedule, we can also build classes around YOUR availability or that of your children’s. For many parents with more than one child, it is extraordinarily convenient if both children can have their lessons at the same time. If we have three children at the same level and available at the same time, then we can get a class off of the ground. The basic schedule of classes is as follows:
|Session I:||June 22 to July 10 (3 weeks)|
|Session II:||July 13 to July 31 (3 weeks)|
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
|Level I:||10 to 10:45 AM|
|Level II:||11 to 11:45 AM|
Cost: $99 for 9 lessons
Tuesday and Thursday:
|Preschool I:||10 to 10:45 AM|
|Preschool II:||11 to 11:45 AM|
Cost: $69 for 6 lessons
|1 person||1/2 hour: $20||45 min: $30||1 hour: $40|
|2 person||1/2 hour: $40||45 min: $55||1 hour: $65|
American Red Cross Swim Level Objectives
Preschool Lessons (3 years to 5 years)
This program provides children opportunity to learn to swim without parental assistance.
Children learn the basic swim skills with extra assistance from our staff. Preschool I participants learn to:
Children continue to reinforce basic skills with little or no assistance. Preschool II participants learn to:
Level I: Introduction to Water Skills
In order to pass Level I student/camper must be able to:
- Enter unassisted, move 5 yards, bob 5 times to chin level and exit water
- Float on front with support for 3 seconds, roll to back and float on back for 3 seconds with assistance.
Level II: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
In order to pass Level II, student/camper must be able to:
- Step into chest deep water, move into a front float for 5 seconds, roll over to back float, stand up, then back float for 5 seconds and stand up.
- Push off and swim combined front stroke 15 feet and do the same for the backstroke.
Level III: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
In order to pass Level III, student/camper must be able to:
- Jump into chest deep water from the dock, swim front crawl for 15 yards with face in the water and rhythmic breathing, maintain position by treading or floating for 30 seconds and swim back crawl for 15 yards.
Level IV: Stroke Improvement
Perform the following:
a. Front and back crawl
d. Elementary backstroke
e. Swim on side using scissors-like kick
In order to pass Level VI the student/camper must be able to:
- Perform a feet first entry in chest deep water, swim front crawl 25 yards, back float 1 minute in deep water and swim elementary backstroke for 15 yards.
- Swim breaststroke for 15 yards, tread water 1 minute and swim back crawl 25 yards.
Level V: Stroke Refinement
In order to pass Level V the student/camper must be able to:
- Perform a shallow dive into deep water, swim front crawl for 50 yards, back float for 2 minutes, swim elementary backstroke for 25 yards.
- Swim breaststroke for 25 yards, tread water for 2 minutes and swim back crawl for 50 yards.